Effective national food control systems are essential to protect the health and safety of domestic consumers. They are also critical in enabling countries to assure the safety and quality of their foods entering international trade and to ensure that imported foods conform to national requirements. The new global environment for food trade places considerable obligations on both importing and exporting countries to strengthen their food control systems and to implement and enforce risk-based food control strategies.
The certificate program on Food Safety & Quality Control is designed to bridge this gap between industry and academics. The program aims to impart in depth knowledge on food safety and quality control.
The objective of this course is to give students a conceptual introduction about food safety and strengthen food control systems to protect public health, prevent fraud and deception, avoid food adulteration and facilitate trade. This will enable students to choose the most suitable options for their food control systems in terms of legislation, infrastructure and enforcement mechanisms.
At St Aloysius College (Autonomous), the Postgraduate Studies & Research in Food Science team has come up with this certificate program on Food Safety & Quality Control to cater individuals the guidelines of national authorities concerned with ensuring food safety and quality in the interests of public health and consumer protection. The participants will get to learn basics of Good Manufacturing Practices and Good Agricultural Practices. The course content gives overview of food safety with respect to quality control as well as regulatory perspective.
On completion of the course the students will be understand, use and apply the knowledge, skills of quality management in food processing and critically evaluate the presence of contaminants in food quality assurance.
- To study the systematic approach to controlling food safety hazards within a food business.
- To understand the laws, standards and regulation of Food safety.
- To understand guidelines of food safety.
Expected learning outcome/ skills
- Understand, use and apply the knowledge, skills of quality management in food processing.
- Understand and critically evaluate the presence of contaminants in food quality assurance.
- Understand the chemical, technological and toxicological aspects of food additives in food preservation.
- Understand the concept of food safety, types of hazards and their control measures
- Comprehend the need of hygiene and sanitation for ensuring food safety
What Will You Learn?
- The course is tailor-made for pursuing a career in food industries and analytical laboratories as quality and safety executives (QHSC), quality control officers and hygiene officers.