22108 HERBAL MEDICINE AND HERBAL TECHNOLOGY(hands-on-training-course )
HERBAL MEDICINE AND HERBAL PRODUCTS
Department of Botany, St. Aloysius College (Autonomous), Mangalore
Theory + Practicals 30 Hrs
Unit-I Introduction to Plants 5 hrs
Classification of Plants into major groups. Salient features of Angiosperms. Plant and its Parts -morphology and Functions. Classification – Artificial, Natural and Phylogenetic system. Nomenclature – Binomial nomenclature and rules. Taxonomic hierarchy-Concept of Species, Genus, Family, Order, Class, Division and Kingdom. Field survey, Herbarium and Botanical garden.
Unit-II Ethnomedicine & Pharmacognosy 5 hrs
Ethnomedicine – Definition, history and its scope Methods of disease diagnosis and treatment , Plants in folk culture – Areca catechu, Aegle marmelos, Musa paradisiaca, Ficus benghalensis, Curcuma domestica, Cyanodon dactylon , Sesamum indicum and other species
Pharmacognosy – History, Definition and scope. Systems of Indian Medicines – Brief account on Ayush – Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homeopathy
Unit-III Concepts & Methods of Herbal Medicine 5 hrs
Concepts – the dosha, dhatu, mala and agni. Methods- Juice (svarasa), Powder (churna), Decoction (kvatha), paste (kalka), Infusion (phanta), Cold Infusion (situ kasaya), Milk Preparation (ksira paka), Linctus or Jam (avaleha, lehya, paka, prasa or khanda ), Medicated Oil and Ghee (taila and ghrita), Alcoholic Preparations (asava and arista), Pills or Tablets (gutika, vati and modaka)
Unit-IV Medicinal Plants for Human health 5 hrs
Medicinal uses of Piperaceae, Combretaceae, Lamiaceae,Acanthaceae, Euphorbiaceae, Zingiberaceae,Poaceae,Apocyanaceae etc.
Health and balanced diet (Role of proteins, carbohydrates, lipids and vitamins)
Plants in day today life –Ocimum sanctum, Centella asiatica, Mangifera indica,Cocos nucifera, Cassia auriculata, Aloe vera etc. Nutritive and medicinal value of some fruits and vegetables
Plants for Cardiovascular diseases, cardiac drugs of plant origins – alkaloids, anticoagulants, Pulmonary / respiratory disorders – asthma, bronchitis, common cold, allergy . Urinogenital disorders , Drugs for dissolving kidney stones, Memory stimulants, Anti inflammatory drugs, Anticancer drugs
Practicals 10 Hrs
- Identification of Medicinal plants and raw materials of medicinal plants. Amla, Bulb (Garlic), Rhizome Ginger, Castor, Cinchona, Neem and Flower bud– Clove.
- Poisonous plants – Abrus precatorius seeds, Strychnos nux-vomica
- Identification of Medicinal Plants- Locally available 20 medicinal plants
- Methods of different Herbal Preparations- Extraction methods- infusion, decoction, digestion, maceration, percolation, solvent extraction.
- Herbal products : Juice (svarasa), Powder (churna)
- Screening of phytochemicals primary and secondary metabolites. (carbohydrates, proteins, lipids, phenolics, flavonoids, pigments, alkaloids, volatile oils, terpenes, resins).
- Extraction of Essential oils from locally available aromatic plants
- Maintenance of Herbal Garden
- K.Gopalakrishna Bhat, 2003. Flora of Udupi. Published by Indian Naturalist, 2003
- Magadi R Gurudev Karnatakada Aushadhiya Sasyagalu Published by Divyachandra Prakashana
- Paranjpe Prakash Dole Vilas A 2006. A Text Book of Rasashastra. Published by Chaukhamba Sanskrit Pratishthan
- Ravindra Angadi 2016.A Textbook of Bhaisajya Kalpana Vijana (Pharmaceutical Science)
- J. B. Harborne 2013.Phytochemical Methods: A Guide to Modern Techniques of Plant Analysis
Ayurvedic medicine -preparation00:00
History and AYUSH00:00
Use of natural products00:00
Jeddu Ayurvedic Farm – (Included under Practicals)00:00
Assignment 2 (Under practicals)
Assignment 3: preparation of any one ayurvedic medicine
Practicals – 10 hrs
Join Whatsapp group for schedule of classes
Quiz No 1
Quiz No 2