Spectral Interpretation of Organic Compounds (Revised)
- Certificate course in Spectral Interpretation of Organic Compounds is a 20-hour online programme which helps in elucidating organic structures by the usage of modern spectroscopic data.
- The skill to analyse a spectrum is a pre-requisite in the fields of research and industry.
- The course aims to develop problem-solving skills with an adequate number of worked-out examples.
- General introduction to spectroscopy, regions of electromagnetic spectrum, organic structures, different functional groups, degree of unsaturation.
- Ultra-Violet (UV) spectroscopy: The nature of Ultra-Violet spectroscopy, quantitative aspects of
- Infra-Red (IR) spectroscopy: Absorption ranges and the nature of IR absorption.
- Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) Spectroscopy: General introduction, chemical shift in 1H NMR
spectroscopy, spin-spin coupling in 1H NMR spectroscopy, analysis of 1H NMR spectra, rules for spectral analysis.
- 13C NMR spectroscopy: Coupling and decoupling in 13C NMR spectra, DEPT, shielding and characteristic chemical shifts in 13C NMR spectra.
- Basics of Mass Spectra. Problems related to the structural determination of organic molecules from spectra
What Will I Learn?
- After successful completion of this course candidate will acquire skills required to elucidate any complex organic structure from spectra.
- Completion of the course can make the candidate prepared to attend any related problems in national level competitive examinations and interviews.
Topics for this course
Introduction to Course
1: Welcome to course1:07
2: Inroduction to course I11:15
3: Introduction to course II5:23
4: Introudction to spectroscopy I6:52
5: Introduction to spectroscopy II16:24
6: Introduction to spectroscopy III11:08
Introduction to NMR, Spin Values
7: Introduction to NMR16:32
8: Nuclear Spin I10:14
9: Nuclear Spin II
10: Chemical Equivalency I15:02
11: Chemical Equivalency II
12: Chemical Equivalency Problem Solving I